Community Conversations - Shaping our Future 2041
Revelstoke will pursue a sustainable mountain community by balancing environmental, social economic, and cultural values within a local, regional and global context. Our rich heritage and stunning natural environment inspire us to be forward-thinking, inclusive, resilient, and welcoming. We will create a supportive, vibrant community for those that live, work and visit here today and in the future.
To achieve the future we envision, our community priorities are:
- A range of housing options and affordability;
- Environmental protection and stewardship;
- Climate change action;
- Personal and community economic growth and stability;
- A responsive and caring social support system;
- Opportunities for lifelong learning;
- Fostering of diverse cultural and spiritual values, and,
- A range of recreation and activities for residents and visitors.
Revelstoke will change and grow over the next 20 years...
- Research shows that Revelstoke will likely add an additional 2,700 people and require approximately 1,219 new homes over the next 20 years
- The seasonal population and workforce will likely increase from 550 in 2019 to over 750 in 2041
- Tourism is also projected to increase accommodation capacity by 1,313 new beds
- In 2016, Revelstoke’s housing was made up of 78% single-family units, 10% row/duplex, and 12% apartments
- The types of housing developed have impacts on affordability, the amount of land required, infrastructure costs, travel patterns, environment, and sense of community (to name a few)
What opportunities and challenges do you think Revelstoke will be faced with over the next 20 years?
Here are some questions to get the conversation started and to share your thoughts on how we Shape Our Future 2041:
- How do we work toward our community priorities over the next 20 years?
- How do we address an increase in population?
- How do we improve affordability? What forms of housing should there be and where?
- Are there important ecological areas or greenspaces we want to conserve?
- Where are the best locations for industry, commercial, services, office space?
- How will we move around from home to work and recreation?